I received an email at work on Monday, concerning some new research undertaken by LinkedIn about British workers checking their work emails whilst on holiday. The following results caught my attention:
- 24% of British workers say they can’t relax if they don’t check their work emails while on annual leave.
- 37% feel more positive about their return to work if they’ve been checking in on work while out of the office.
- 68% of those questioned don’t mind checking their work emails while their out of office is on.
- 60% admitted opening in their inbox at least once a day.
- 48% say that they check their emails as they don’t want to fall behind.
- 84% of those questioned confessed that they actually respond to work emails while they’re on holiday.
I find it incredible that people are unable to switch off from looking at emails and enjoy their summer holidays.
Whilst work is important it is also essential for our own well-being that we relax and take a break from the pressures of it. If you are on your summer holidays then you should not be working but rather enjoying your holiday. Instead of looking at work emails why not switch off your smartphone / tablet and do one or more of the following:
- Go for a walk
- Go for a run
- Go for a swim
- Play tennis
- Read a book (make sure it’s not work related!)
- Take a boat trip
- Visit a museum
- Go sightseeing
- Enjoy the company of those you have gone on holiday with!
We spend so much time at work that we should at least try to enjoy our holidays and forget about work. Go on give it a go!